Joseph wrote:
> From what I understand MyHealth-e-Vet employs a 3 tier
>architecture.....with Oracle storing the patient's data extracted from
>VistA. It is not a real time link for updates....it is done by a batch
>process.

I don't think it is quite as bad as a batch process. I looked at it when this
topic first
came up some months ago and from what I recall of it, it updates the data for an
individual patient record via HL7 on request from the patient while the patient
is viewing
the record. I didn't actually try the update for the demo patient I was looking
at, but I
expect that it would update within a few minutes when requested.

>I agree with Nancy that it would be best and perhaps easier to
>replace it.

Starting with an OpenVistA database and building on M2Web, I think it would be
fairly easy
(as programming goes ;) ) for someone familiar with the data structure (files
and fields)
of the medical record to provide a similar view of live data.

I expect that the extra layers of isolation and encryption in the current
MyHealth-e-Vet
could be implemented as well with GT.M and other Open Source tools.