For what its worth, a little MailMan history:

I worked with Jon Postel of ISI in Marina Del Ray when I was designing
the original MailMan 1982-1983.  He was one of the designers of SMTP
and the standard for mail names [EMAIL PROTECTED] formats.  I didn't
have Internet access at the time, but I wanted to use the SMTP
standard in the event that VA got connected to IP.  I took Jon's
standard, and sent the files as a batch to him for debugging...

Since I didn't have TCP access at the time, but rather point-to-point
1200 baud autodial, I created the SCP protocol to simulate the
open/close/read/write TCP protocol.  I then built a bootstrap
capability in the SMTP HELO command as an extension that would allow
nodes to declare what protocols they could use.  Thus, new protocols
could roll in to the network gracefully, one node at a time, and the
nodes would adapt to the most advanced protocol  available.

Jon taught me a lot about scalability, decentralization and network
design which I factored into the early DHCP design, as well as my
subsequent thinking.

P.S.  I had planned to be able to send messages to patients with the
syntax P.patientname, by the way.

I have no idea how much of all this survives to this day, but I amazed
at how persistent that system is.