Since this seems to be a new issue for Kevin and he has been crawling around
in VistA for a while now, is this sort of field not rare as hen's teeth?

 I would think that some internal policy in the VA might be responsible for
locking up this field. For instance, perhaps they did not want patients to be
assigned just one provider when they were taken care of by a team that might
rotate on or off a service.