Title: RE: [Hardhats-members] MDC Revival
I believe Cameron's statement about the VA management not being able to back off of migrating to a newer platform is probably very close to the truth.  However, I am sure that there were some real business management decisions made (or at least I hope so).  I saw an article recently that estimated that 40-50% of the current VA IT staff will be retiring in the next 5 years.  If I was a manager of VA IT I would be very concerned about that.  I would seriously consider moving my technology to a platform that enables me to recruit competent IT staff without having to rely on in-house training for the next generation of VA IT support.  I would even consider technology that is inferior to my current technology as long as the new technology meets my needs and gives me greater flexibilty in personnel matters or provide me the opportunity to competitively outsource some IT functions.