...why is the oddity in DSM?  In the past I have discovered instances in which
DSM was the only implementation of M in which the standard was correctly
implemented.  The 'oddity' was in all the other systems.  Go figure....  ???

Not having a standard document at hand, I am wondering where in the standard is
the 'programmer mode' mentioned at all.

Regards,

Richard.