If the permissions and paths on your PC require k3b to be run as root,
then use the following sequence of commands, unless root is the user
initially logged in:

As the normal user: "xhost +" (since the user who is logged in owns the
display, s/he must give permission to other users to open a window on
the main console).

As root:
  export DISPLAY=:0 (since X Windows allows a window to be opened on any
X server, this tells it to use the main console)
  k3b >&/dev/null& (start in the background, and redirect STDERR and
STDOUT to the null device; otherwise you get a bunch of gobbledygook).

-- Bhaskar