VistA used to run on about seven 486 33Mhz DOS-based PCs as servers and served the needs of the smaller VA hospitals. I don't believe they ever ran CPRS clients against that configuration and CPRS clients are more demanding than a terminal client.

Watch out, though, in making these comparisons. People will see the smaller hardware requirements and not believe it is possible to have a very powerful system if that is all it needs. This has backfired on vendors of M-based products when bidding in the past... ;-)

Joseph Dal Molin wrote:

Small is beautiful....as the saying goes.....

This is perhaps totally irrelevant and dumb but a tleast interesting.... I have been curious for some time as to what the most minimal hardware config that VistA has been implemented on. I think that it might be a simple way to show a lay person how efficient VistA is compared to other systems. Of course it's all relative as you may only be able to have one user on the system....but nevertheless the fact that it can work smoothly and responsively for even a single user is an accomplishment compared to the bloatware trend that has been the norm in the past 10 years that has crippled my older but perfectly good computers.

I have been able to run the VA demo version (the one with the patient data in it) natively on a Pentium 2, 300 mhz notebook, with 128mb of memory (both CPRS and the Server), Windows 98. I have a Pentium 1, 90 mhz, 70someting MB of memory, running Debian which I will try to set up as a server when I have some free time.

So anyone out there running it on a Commodore 64? Perhaps we should have an ongoing contest for the smallest form factor and the oldest dinosaur computer that VistA is made to run on?

Joseph

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click _______________________________________________ Hardhats-members mailing list Hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/hardhats-members

-- Greg Kreis http://www.PioneerDataSys.com

"You are today where your thoughts have brought you, you will
  be tomorrow where your thoughts take you." (James Lane Allen)