I wouldn't do that.  Yes, you could change the database parameters so that other numbers could be stored in it.  But then you have to think about every single application already written that might access that datafield.  What assumptions have been made about the length of the number.  If it was suddenly a different format, would one of those programs break?  I don't know, and without careful research it would be difficult to know.

I think it would be better to simply add a new data field, or use the one set up by the IHS.

Kevin

Nancy Anthracite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Could you please address the poison in a little more detail, starting with the
part of not using field. Could you reassign the name of the field and change
the length, for instance, for the SS number to create the patient record
number that would continue to function properly?