This problem was addressed by the Pediatric HL7 Special interest group.  Not
only are there no names to start out with, but there are likely to be
situations with multiple names being used for the same child, both legally
and otherwise with foster care, adoption, separated parents, etc.  The
listing of items which are possibly unique to the Pediatric Record that need
to be addressed in the standard for a medical record overall was presented to
representatives from the EHR-TC and Patient Care TC just yesterday afternoon
by members of the Pedi SIG so the additional hard work of trying to figure
out how to deal in the standard for the overall medical record can progress.
I have had the privilege of being able to "attend" some to the conference
calls of the Pedi HL7 SIG and it has been invaluable for giving me an idea
what has to be done.  That said, actually doing it in a in a reasonable,
staged, workable manner that can be incorporated into VistA is another kettle
of fish altogether.