As Rick Marshall knows, I will challenge what is said in a public forum especially one where many recipient's have little to no experience with VistA and who do not really know who the people are who are responding.Saying that, Kevin started this thread with the comment: " I may have just reinvented the wheel, but I don't think so. I have just finished a function that will format fireman dates in any arbitrary way, based on format strings.".

I took this statement to mean that Kevin examined what VistA could and could not do and determined that VistA did not provide a tool for formatting date outputs. From later responses, apparently, he was unaware of the existence of the XLFDT APIs. Now if he said something like "I had looked at the XLFDT utility and found it wanting for outputting dates...." then I would have had no object! ions to w

If VistA was already well established outside of the VA, then that would be a different situation. But it is not. And every misleading and/or erroneous statement made about VistA harms the image of VistA and has a negative impact upon implementing VistA outside of the VA. I have no problems whatsoever about publicly talking about VistA's deficiencies like a lack of a Ped module or adequate OB/GYN module.