Hi,

  Re: Linux Distributions
  IMO, due to the refocussing of business and acquisition, etc, we are
  still somewhat in a state of flux. I think main questions that you (Alberto)
  need to answer is:
- Do I want to have OS support 24x7, e-mail, telephone, volunteers?
- What is the likelihood that I am going to have a software failure
  for which a vendor's assistance is vital?

  My recommendations would be: (alhpabetic ordering)
- If you need to have vendor support: Novell or Red Hat
- If you are willing to rely on email, etc: Debian, Fedora
- Others: Gentoo, Knoppix, etc, etc, etc

  I hope that we (WorldVistA/Hardhats) settle on a few distributions so that
  there can be expertise in the adminstration of these systems.  They all
  have unique things, so it is confusing (from a giving advice perspective)
  to have different distributions. Generally one needs to know which
  distribution is being asked about -- even if they are all running the same
  identical Linux kernel.  The difference is NOT Linux, it is the stuff that the
  distribution has integrated.

  Over the past 4-5 years there has been quite a number of distributions
  (flavors) of   GNU Linux that people have been using. Issues can arise
  because of these, so it can be unnecessarily confusing.

  For myself, I intend to be able to advise people running: SuSE 9.3+,
  Fedora Core 3+ and Red Hat (version TBD).  Other varieties may be
  supported in the future. There are enough administrative differences
  (SuSE uses YAST, etc) that giving advice can be tricky. (Note: I can
  advise on the older version of some of these, but have stated support
  for the current (now) and future versions, from now.

Cheers,
  --ldl

On 5/25/05, Nancy Anthracite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> First, do you have anything you are in love with on your Fedora 2 machine?  If
> no, why not start by getting yourself an up to date version of Linux version.
>
> Rat Hat and Suse have Enterprise versions.  It have been thinking that might
> be nice to my feet wet with one of those that a hospital or perhaps a
> practice installing VistA-Office might like to use for that reason as it will
> have support guaranteed to be available.
>
> Red Hats non-enterprise offspring is Fedora, as you know, and tends to be a
> "bit bleeding edge" as others more than me have said. (One with a name
> beginning with a B comes to mind, and my son as well.)
>
> Then there is Suse, and I would like to have someone comment on Suse as you
> can download it for bargain use vs. the Enterprise version.
>
> Also, maybe some know about the quality and depth of the support available to
> a large enterprise for the other distros.
>
> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 10:27 am, Alberto Odor wrote:
> > Well, I'm decided to give OpenVistA as much time as I can. I downloaded a
> > lot of stuff yesterday like:
> >
> > 1. OpenVistA VIVA FOIA Gold 20050212.iso
> > 2. OpenVistA SemiVIVA FOIA Gold 20050212.tar.gz
> > 3. GT.MAcculturation0.3.iso
> >
> > I have a Linux Server with Fedora2 I can use as I only use it for testing.
> > (Linux is not my strong point)
> > I also have a Windows Server and a couple of PCs with WindowsXP I can use.
> >
> > If you would like to have a DEMO site, how would you start? Please
> > elaborate as much as you want to ;)
> >
> > Once I have a Demo site, I plan to try and make an installation from the VA
> > files on GT.M. (I also have Cache's demo disk - one user version).
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Alberto Odor, MD
> > Mexico City

LD Landis - N0YRQ - from the St Paul side of Minneapolis