From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Cameron Schlehuber
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 10:33 AM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Hardhats-members] GUI Reg & Billing?

Note that things like Registration may look prettier with a GUI (more
colorful, things spread out over the screen in pretty boxes, etc.) but the
basic information being gathered and reviewed does not usually require the
kind of integrated display and undirected searches that clinical interfaces
demand.  If you had a GUI that was essentially a "wizard" that directed the
user through the prompts and questions that must be answered to register the
patient, if you take away the pretty colors and fancy boxes, you have the
current roll-and-scroll interface.

In fact, as has been pointed out by human factors and usability experts, for
"heads-down" applications (such as keypad entry, etc.) where the
predictability of the interface's use is a plus (rather than the "user could
make anything could happen next" nature of GUIs), the roll-and-scroll is
demonstrably superior for accuracy and performance.