Well Gregory, I don't know what a "normal" application is....   :-)

However, the first application written in MUMPS using FileManager, and
placed into use for paitent care in May 1979, routinely examined the Data
Dictionary to discover if any fields had been added or removed.  The
application then adjusted the data presentation and analysis to reflect
these changes.

The application was a Food Nutrient Analysis package used to develop diet
plans for diabetics who were being treated with a High Fiber, High
Carbohydrate diet.  Physicians prescribed the desired nutrient profile for
the diets, and dietitians used the FNA package together with patient
preferences to develop meal plans.  The Dietitians were free to add
nutrients, remove them and edit the properties of each nutrient.

The notion of data dictionary driven application logic was there at the dawn
of DHCP.  The conceptual development around this principle, and the
associated tools, did not take of vigorously, however.

Regards,

Richard.