Thurman Pedigo wrote:
> This story IS legend, reported over and over. My recollections it made
> headlines when it occurred - not that long ago.

Not an urban legend but LEGENDARY (and one of the forces behind the
FDA's entry into the software as medical device arena)

" Some of the most widely cited software-related accidents in
safety-critical systems involved a computerized radiation therapy
machine called the Therac-25. Between June 1985 and January 1987, six
known accidents involved massive overdoses by the Therac-25 -- with
resultant deaths and serious injuries."

cf http://courses.cs.vt.edu/~cs3604/lib/Therac_25/Therac_1.html

I remember the story pretty well so googled this up, a very thorough
analysis by software engineers and highly relevant, I think. And a
pretty scary read, too. Recommended.

jlz

I since gone a little daft googling around for dangerous software
errors. try http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/index.23.html for something a
little less serious.