Nancy, I think you have the idea.  Let me comment on
your steps below...

--- Nancy Anthracite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK, I have been doing more thinking about this
> scanning issue.  I was looking
> at page 20 of the TIU technical manual and it looks
> to me that we need to:

1. make a new document type,

   This is not absolutely required, but I went ahead
and did this for my site in prep for use later.  I
call the types names like this:
  Consult later (image)
  Lab report (image)
  Picture (image)
etc., so that I will be able to find them later when
browsing through all different notes in CPRS.

2. define a header,

Not sure what you mean here.  A boilerplate text for
the note?  That would actually be a good idea.  I had
planned for my "note-stuffing" function to create the
beginning of the HTML note, but it doesn't matter who
does it.

3. make a java application to help
> staff populate a header and have the header print
> out as a the first page of
> this document

Well, I agree the staff will need to specify for each
note the patient, date, document type etc.  Whether
the program to do this is written in Delpi/Java/M
could be decided.  Since the RPCBroker is in Delphi,
and I have the most experience with it, I had planned
Delphi.  But I'm flexible.

3. and whatever is scanned follow
> thereafter, and have the
> document pop up in Kevin's browser in a modified
> CPRS.

The note itself should be just HTML.  The header
information that you mentioned would be put into
fields describing the document.  For example in TIU
DOCUMENT file (8925), there are fields for a patient
pointer, date, note type, and then also a field to
hold the WP field of the note itself.  So you need a
note-stuffing function that takes the information from
the staff and creates a TIU DOCUMENT record with all
the needed fields filled in, and the HTML document
(which holds a URL to the scanned image) stored in the
REPORT TEXT field.

That way we use a
> standard method is VistA to file the document and
> the only thing we have to
> change anything in is CPRS, and that minimally.

Correct!

> OK gurus.  Have I got this right?

Yup.  Sounds right to me, but I am not a guru, so I
would like to hear what others think of this plan.

Kevin