I save the reference as l_parent and then use it in the event handlers to invoke methods defined in the main application. The idea is that I might want to use it connect to MySQL, sign in to VistA, or something else. Anyway, the dialog isn't supposed to know what you're doing when you log in. The good thing about this design is that it's flexible. The bad thing is that it means that lot of application logic gets stuck in subclass of Frame. If you want to sound jaded, you can say that it is poor cohesion, if you don't, it violates the principle "Do one thing, and do it well".
===
Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Education is a progressive discovery