On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 16:54 -0400, Mike Lieman wrote:
> On 7/27/05, Todd Berman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 13:31 -0400, Nancy Anthracite wrote:
>         > The Crossover office folks would fix it to run on Wine were
>         they to get the
>         > funding.  That was the plan, it just never got that
>         far.  They are eager to
>         > work with us again if things work out and I hope they do as
>         we had a great
>         > time working together.
>
>         But that doesn't answer the real issue. Is a version of CPRS
>         limping
>         along under Crossover Office/WINE something you could stand in
>         front of
>         a CIO of a hospital, look him in the eye, and in good faith
>         offer as a
>         viable option for a desktop Linux deployment? It isn't for me.
>
> I've only seen ONE Desktop Linux deployment which worked out.  That
> was in a very tightly controlled vertical application environment for
> reserving and dispatching limos.

Healthcare seems to be a fairly tightly controlled vertical application
environment as well. Obviously not to the same extent, but far closer
than your average home user. The hard part is the required applications
(CPRS, VistA Imaging, BCMA, GUI-Vitals, etc), but that is a hard
*solvable* problem. And if you go crossplatform, its not an issue either
way which platform is being used. But the option exists in the future to
allow for the platform to be migrated without the application changing.

> Now, if there was a WEB based VistA client, running that under a
> browser under linux would likely be productive.  Maybe thunking
> through a J2EE app server?
>
> But now we're adding needless levels of complexity.

Now, would you mind explaining how a web based clinical application
running under linux is feasible, but a native one is not?

If it is feasible to run the web based version, then obviously the
native one is feasible too.

A rich client is not a bad thing in this situation.

> We're pretty much stuck with CPRS, and it's target client is Windows.

But we aren't :).

--Todd