Zeno;

   A couple of suggestions;
1) DUZ is a pointer into the NEW PERSON File, file 200 (aka,
^VA(200,DUZ,0)), and you have set it to .01.  While .01 could actually be a
user, it is probably not an interactive user (such as POSTMASTER .5).  If
you are running GTM try this;
    >ZWR ^VA(200,*,0)
Now pick someone already established to set your DUZ to.  If you are at the
> prompt, you have great power, but with that comes great responsibility.
You can see the different roles these people play (what menus they have
access to).  This can keep you busy for a while.  Once you find someone with
access to EVE, then you can go in and create a new user using the menus.
2) If you are building an FAQ, could I suggest that you put it out on the
wiki so that others might benefit from your lessons learned and then they
can also add their lessons learned?  This would be a great way of giving
back to the community.

    Best wishes;   Chris