Actually this has nothing to do with open source .... it is how it is distributed ie. sold vs. given away.

One of the best medical imaging systems in the market actually started out as a freebie....the name escapes me now.... not sure what the FDA history of that solution is but it spread far and wide and then became commercial and would have had to get FDA approval at that point.

Greg Woodhouse wrote:
That's interesting. Frankly, I find it a bit disconcerting to think
that medical applications might be unregulated just because they are
open source.

--- Joseph Dal Molin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

There was a recent post on the OSIRIX list that asked the question
why is OSIRIX not subject to FDA regs. The answer apparently is "if you sell it installed" it is FDA regulated .... if you give it away it is not. I have asked the people responsible for OSIRIX (BTW it is an open source medical image viewer) to give me a more detailed answer which I will share with this list when I receive it.

Joseph

Kevin Toppenberg wrote:

I understand the need to protect one's business investments.  But

it

was my understanding that the entire VI package was FOIA -- its

just

that one would need to be careful not to cross the FDA in
implementations.

So the "import API" should  be open source, and the "VI background
processor" should be open source too, I suspect.

What we need are people who understand the system and can explain

it

-- or at least better than the usual documentation.

I suspect that there is money in the area on this subject and that

is

why there is a tendency towards secrecy.

Kevin