Watching this FDA thread triggers historical recollections shattering a few
cog-webs. To understand FDA one must review the influence of Frances Kelsey,
M.D. Until Dr. Kelsey's time FDA was a more or less "rubber stamp" for the
drug companies. For some reason it is getting harder to find her connect FDA
connection in the past two years. Even an extensive report on FDA fails to
mention her name.
http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg18n2c.html

However, she still gets some recognition.
http://www.pnc.com.au/~cafmr/online/research/thalid2.html
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/changingthefaceofmedicine/physicians/biography_182.ht
ml

Rhetoric abounds decrying cost of medicine in the U.S. to the point some
advocate importing from Canada. Adding that to the recent fiasco regarding
the COX inhibitors leaves plenty room to wonder about efficacy of FDA. I am
somewhat concerned when I listen to physicians, who haven't bothered to
check profitability, or PE ratio, lament drug costs. Sure, as an industry
pharmaceuticals do well, though not the absolute highest performers. Still,
our FDA approval process has far more influence on costs than any imagined
profitability. And, while helpful, FDA is not the panacea of how well we
practice medicine. I recognize this (thread) conveys a bit of philosophy.

thurman