To: <hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 11:25 AM
Subject: RE: [Hardhats-members] MUMPS features

Which language are you referring to? Ada? PL/1? Honestly, I don't know
either of those languages, so I couldn't say whether they use a single
level of precedence. Languages I have used include Basic, Visual Basic,
C, C++, Pascal, Object Pascal, MUMPS, Java, Perl, Python, Fortan 77,
Franz LISP and Scheme (I don't claim to remember them all!)

I'll just make one editorial comment: There may indeed be languages
other than MUMPS that do not follow normal operator precedence rules,
but who is using them today? I would think that MUMPS programmers would
be more interested in seeing the language evolve into something that
more people would be willing to adopt.

--- Jim Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Gregory wrote:
>In every single language using infix notation (except MUMPS) that
I'm
>familiar with 2 + 3 * 4 = 16, and it is a longstanding convention in
>mathematics that 2 + 3 * 4 is 2 + (3 * 4) not (2 + 3) * 4.
>
>It's not that I can't live with strict left to right evaluation,
it's
>just that it's annoying...really annoying. It's as if someone
decided
>that they would violate a well established convention just for
<insert
>your favorite expletive> of it.

The convention for precedence among operators was NOT well
established among different
programming languages until long after I started using MUMPS which
again was long after it
was decided for MUMPS.

When I was a graduate student studying different programming
languages, some used strict
right-to-left precedence and among languages that offered a per
operator precedence scheme
and a relatively large set of operators, there were many variations
on precedence that I
found impossible to follow without a reference manual or excessive
use of parentheses.

In contrast, MUMPS' left-to-right precedence offered refreshing
simplicity. This is a dead
issue, or should be since it was decided for MUMPS decades ago.

September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development Lifecycle
Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams * Testing
& QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement *
http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf

Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Design quality doesn't ensure success, but design failure can ensure failure."

--Kent Beck