-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jim
Self
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 4:06 PM
To: hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Hardhats-members] MUMPS features

Gregory wrote:
>Which language are you referring to? Ada? PL/1?

I studied a large number of programming languages back then that I
haven't used since,
including those two, and I remember very little about them. APL is one
that I remembered
as having strict right-to-left precedence.

>Honestly, I don't know
>either of those languages, so I couldn't say whether they use a single
>level of precedence. Languages I have used include Basic, Visual Basic,
>C, C++, Pascal, Object Pascal, MUMPS, Java, Perl, Python, Fortan 77,
>Franz LISP and Scheme (I don't claim to remember them all!)

Visual Basic, C++, Java, Perl, Python did not exist at that time. C was
barely on the map
and Fortran had no operators (that I recall) for anything but basic
algebra. I was just
getting interested in C when I started with MUMPS and it wasn't yet
taught or covered even
in advanced computer science classes at UCD until several years later.
It was available on
the unix computers serving the computing labs, but the only people who
knew anything about
it were ones who picked it up on their own.

>I'll just make one editorial comment: There may indeed be languages
>other than MUMPS that do not follow normal operator precedence rules,

There was no such thing as a "normal" operator precedence when I was in
school, unless
perhaps you restricted consideration to operators defined in FORTRAN.

>but who is using them today? I would think that MUMPS programmers would
>be more interested in seeing the language evolve into something that
>more people would be willing to adopt.

I am certainly interested in seeing MUMPS based systems evolve, but I
think that changing
operator precedence would simply break existing applications. I think
that the evolution
of MUMPS at this point will mostly be in making MUMPS data and
executables accessible to
other languages. Steve Zeck's Db-GTM Perl module is a start in that
direction. Another
possibility is OMEGA or RUNE, a long time dream of many veterans of the
MDC.