Heh... ok... I know that I am not a MUMPS guru.. or even n00b
but.... I have written both compilers and interpreters....
 in the dim dim dim dim dim dim recesses of time...
And I can't help but think, that it isn't the best thought out feature
(reads mistake) of the language.
I think that operator precedence is valid even in math and not only in
computer languages.
The only reason I can think of left to right is because it was easy and
doesn't require any heavy parsing.

But... then again... I accept that I could be totally and completely
wrong... it has happened before..... um... at least I think it has.

:)