On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 16:23 -0500, Jim Self wrote:

[KSB] <...snip...>

> I haven't worked with this level of code in quite awhile and I forget
> what differences in
> device parameters apply to different device types, such as for sockets
> and communication
> between processes, such as we use in CGI between Apache and GT.M.
>
> In making M2Web capable of uploading binary files from web browsers,
> we settled a long
> time ago on using READ * (single character) because it works - and
> incidentally is MUCH
> faster than Kevin's previous example would indicate. (I think I sent
> such a response to
> the list, but it might still be waiting in my outbox.)
>
> I remember that READ * is unacceptably slow on other MUMPS, but it
> seems to work quite
> well on GT.M. Do you think we can get significantly better performance
> with block reads
> now with the latest versions of GT.M.

[KSB] Jim, there has been no recent change to GT.M in this area, so if
you like the application code you are running, stay with it.  As I
recollect, UC Davis is running a web based paperless clinical system at
one of the world's largest veterinary medicine teaching hospitals with
the database on a dual CPU 1.3GHz Pentium 3 machine.  So your code is
obviously doing something right, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-- Bhaskar