From: "Kevin Toppenberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Hardhats Sourceforge" <hardhats-members@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 3:26 PM
Subject: [Hardhats-members] COBOL advise needed

OK, OK, I know this is a M list.  But hear me out.

The December our Mysis contract will expire, which is our old EMR.
The company says that it will be $5,000+ to get the old progress notes
exported.  Recently our group voted not to do that, and to just go
forward with our paper printouts of that data (which are already in
our paper charts).

But I can't help but wonder if I could get the data out myself.  I
know that I can do it through printing to a disk instead of printer,
then running it all through a conversion program.  But it is certainly
lacking.

The underlying code is written in cobol -- either RM COBOL or
MicroFocus Cobol (or both).  I don't know Cobol, but I gues I could go
learn it...

So my question, does anyone know enough about cobol to tell me to give
it up now, its too hard.  Or that it's just sitting there for easy
picking.  Would the cobol be acting as the database itself (as M
does), or would it likely be using some other method of storing.  This
technology is circa 1990.

Thanks