To balance privacy issues and accessibility at the point of care, the EMR data
should be
given to the patient, ideally in digital format like HTML or XML. It could then
be carried
in a memory card or PDA or DVD etc. and/or entrusted to a network based agent
of the
patient. That agent would not necessarily have any special medical connections,
it could
just be a trusted keeper of data for a person and would not necessarily have any
capabilities beyond holding and serving data. The data could be encrypted with
a dual key
scheme like PGP to make it unreadable except to designated receivers.