Isn't it basically an issue for optimizing for how you expect the DBMS to be used? If you expect to process primarily queries and bulk inserts, then it makes sense to allocate large blocks of storage than if you expect a lot of updates of smaller records.

Oh, and I completely agree with you that VistA supports a relational model of data access (even if it doesn't require it), and that it is inaccurate to refer to it as "hierarchical". Someday, I'm going to have to sit down with Codd's rules and see how Fileman fares.
===
Gregory Woodhouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A practical man is a man who practices the errors of his forefathers. -- Benjamin Disraeli