Yes, Alpha/AXP systems scale up to very high end computing.  They even
look like computers from the old days when men were men and computers
were computers (e.g., look at
http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/gs1280)!  There are some very
large banks running on Alpha/AXP, and there are parts of the world where
if you surveyed everyone at the village pub on a Saturday night, a
decent percentage of them would have their monies at the tender mercies
of a GT.M database.

-- Bhaskar