Functional programming is a fine idea that has been around for a long
time.  Church's lambda calculus predates electronic digital computers,
and LISP dates back to circa 1960.  It is attractive because it
theoretically lends itself better to more formal proofs of correctness
(my own gut tells me that for complex systems, the "bugs" will simply
become bugs in the specifications).

What's not obvious to me is how to get there from here.  Let me use an
analogy inspired by this year's Bhaskar family vacation.  From the South
Rim of the Grand Canyon, the North Rim is a dozen miles away and easily
visible on a clear day.  But the road is a 200 mile roundabout drive
that takes the best part of a day.  The most direct route, 5,0000 feet
down, and 5,000 feet up, is more arduous than the indirect route.

Bringing functional programming to VistA today by linking Haskell to
GT.M may be like the direct route from one rim to the other.  A few
rugged individuals in good shape may undertake it and succeed, but they
will lose any part of the VistA community that attempts to follow.  A
more circuitous route, for example, via object oriented programming and
linking to Perl (or Python or PHP) may be a more achievable first step
in the journey.

-- Bhaskar