When you say you are viewing a "saved routine", how are you viewing the
saved routine and how was the routine saved (ZSAVE vs. GT.M HFS file vs. a
routine save utility to HFS)?

I have not looked at the complete M ANSI standards in awhile.  What is the
official definition of <line start> character?  I know that <TAB> is one.  I
do not remember if <SPACE> is a legitimate <line start> character.

It also depends upon what is the source of the saved routine.  If you are
looking a routine save file, then if that utility uses something like W
!,$T(@TAG)  to write a line out to the HFS file, then doesn't the standard
require that the <line start> character be converted to a <SPACE>?

I know that Cache is particular on which <line start> character you use in
the specific Cache tool.

If you are creating a routine using a telnet window and are at the command
prompt.  Then you must use <TAB> to have Cache save that line to the routine
buffer.  Otherwise you get varied results using <SPACE> as the <line start>
character.   "A ;" will generate a <syntax> error.  Yet " W !,1" is executed
with no problems.

If you use Cache Studio tool, you can use either <TAB> or <SPACE> as the
line start character.  With v5.xx Cache preserves that line start character.
If you used <SPACE> it will retrieve the routine with the <SPACE>.  If you
used the <TAB> it will retrieve the routine with <TAB> as the line start
character.

If you use %RO in Cache to save the routine to a HFS file, then restore that
file using %RI, the routine will have a <SPACE> when loaded into Studio.  I
suspect that Cache used $T(tag) to get the lines of the routines and thus
<TAB> line start would have been converted to <SPACE>.

Because of this trait, I have gotten into the habit of typing a <SPACE> in
Studio for the line start character.  I used to use <TAB> and had changed
Studio's default tab stop from 4 to 8.  But now I always use <SPACE>.