On Dec 6, 2005, at 9:16 AM, Matthew King wrote:

If bean counters saw a woman with a post-partum hemorrhage spraying blood like a broken faucet, they would understand.

One other thought: In the VA we have a program called "Get to Know" requiring those of us not working at the VAMCs to make visits to medical centers where we can be "on the ground" and see what actually happens in the medical centers. I like that idea, because it's awfully easy for people like me to design and develop software without having a real feel for how it is actually used, and under what circumstances. The program also includes a "veteran [patient] visit". This last year, for me, it was working as a volunteer in an art therapy program.

It seems to me that this kind of program could help to promote the type of understanding you describe.

===
Gregory Woodhouse

"Design quality doesn't ensure success, but design failure can ensure failure."

--Kent Beck