Following is the menu option path used to start the background filers
GTM>D ^ZTMB
GTM>D ^XUP
Setting up programmer environment
This is a TEST account.
Terminal Type set to: C-VT100
Select OPTION NAME: XMMASTER MailMan Master Menu

XMM Manage Mailman ...
XMN Network Management ...
XMU MailMan Menu ...
Select MailMan Master Menu Option: XMM Manage Mailman

Check MailMan Files for Errors
Create a Mailbox for a user
Disk Space Management ...
Group/Distribution Management ...
Local Delivery Management ...
MailMan Site Parameters
Network Management ...
New Features for Managing MailMan
Remote MailLink Directory Menu ...
Select Manage Mailman Option: LOCAL Delivery Management

Active Users/Deliveries Report
CHECK background filer
Compile Response Time Statistics
Deliveries by Group
Delivery Queue Statistics Collection
Edit numbers to Normalize Reports
Graphics Download (TAB separators)
Log Response Time Toggler
Mail Delivery Statistics Report
New Messages and Logon Statistics
START background filer
STOP background filer
Select Local Delivery Management Option: START background filer
<< Background Filers will start soon. >>
Active Users/Deliveries Report
CHECK background filer
Compile Response Time Statistics
Deliveries by Group
Delivery Queue Statistics Collection
Edit numbers to Normalize Reports
Graphics Download (TAB separators)
Log Response Time Toggler
Mail Delivery Statistics Report
New Messages and Logon Statistics
START background filer
STOP background filer
Select Local Delivery Management Option:CHECK background filer
Delivery Queue Status as of 4/1/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:06:20
Deliveries COMPLETED since last 1/2 hour: 159 (151 Msg, 8 Resp)
Number of delivery queues: 1 Message and 1 Response
Nothing waiting to be put in the delivery queues.
Nothing in the delivery queues.
Background filer status: Background Filers are running.
Refresh? Yes// NO

[...]

Do you really want to halt? YES//
Halting at 9:02 am

Hope this would help.