OK.  I have just spent at least 2 hrs trying to get it working, and I
have failed again.  I don't have apache2.  I have scoured the net and
have not figured out how to uninstall my apache and install apache2.
Apt-get install apache2 --> can't find package.  apt-get install
apache-mpm-prefork --> no better.

So I tried to reading over the older instructions:
http://vista.vmth.ucdavis.edu/notebook/index/12.html  (targeting apache)

to see if I could somehow merge these with:
http://vista.vmth.ucdavis.edu/notebook/index/48.html

But I guess I am just not smart enough, or don't have enough
background experience, to get this working.  I have no idea how my
current apache is linked into the RedHat9 system.  It seems to be a
low level service that is provided.

Your new instructions specify to :
copy file m2web-vista-site to /etc/apache2/sites-available/vista  (I
don't have an /etc/apache2/ directory)

Your equivalent older instruction indicate to edit:
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

So I tried putting the content from your new m2web-vista-site into the
httpd.conf file, in the section named: Virtual hosts.

When I do this, stop the httpd service and then restart it.  I get a
failure to start.  So something is wrong.

Is there anyway you could provide up to date instructions for those
(like me) not using Apache2?

Thanks
Kevin