Jim Self wrote:
Richard Schilling wrote:

When objects are stored wholesale in an object store, I call it an object database. When object data is stored in a SQL database and then managed by some intermediary API, I call it a persistence layer.

So, perhaps we're splitting hairs here.

Perhaps, but I think you may be misinterpreting the Cache' documentation. I
believe that
your statement that "Cache is obviously storing their data in a SQL data base"
is simply
false.

The defining characteristic of all SQL servers is the presentation of data by means of a SQL syntax.

The SQL specification doesn't dictate implemenation of the data store. So, if Cache presents data as SQL structures ... it's a SQL server.

I would hope Cache uses the MUMPS data store for its data.

You seem to be saying that because data is retrievable via SQL it must be
stored in a way
that is ONLY retrievable via SQL. I am not a user of Cache', but I know that
that is not

Not saying that at all. I would hope Cache data is retrievable by MUMPS as well. It's a testament to the strength of the MUMPS platform.

But there's a point where "another view" of the data is counterproductive - but then again consider the fact I'm dealing with new development so I don't have any Cache' dependent code to worry about.

My goal is integration of VistA into cross-platform technologies. Cache doesn't fit that model very well .... if someone can explain how it can I'm all ears.

What does it mean when they say that "Cache' classes can be projected as Java
classes"?

I have no idea.  Looks like they're jumping on ESI Objects' coat tails.

What are the essential properties of a "true object store" that is not tied
exclusively to
Java?

Generally, the entire class - its methods and members - are persisted in an object store - not just it's members.