Ubuntu has integrated LTSP into it's distribution..
LTSP is Linux Terminal Server Project, and is a marvelous setup worth
investigating since it is so incredibly cost efective.
Diskless workstations, recycled from older pc's boot w/ applications
that are all driven server side.
This feature is an incredible resource for both budget strapped
implementations...
and  for administrators hard pressed to maintain multiple workstations....
The client side configuration is minimal; workstations do not even
need hard drives to get up and running; ... so virtually all
maintenance including virus protection is done server side. From a
practical standpoint, LTSP has the potential to revolutionize
computing in our schools...where it is being looked at in a serious
manner; but i've believed from my first look at Vista 5 months ago,
that LTSP  could do even more for the medical community and for this
application in particular.
It's worth investigating and Shuttleworth was visionary when he
incorporated it into the last Ubuntu release.
Alan