> Bottom line: I think *all* of the main desktop distros have gotten better in
> the past three years.  But are they at the level of OS/X yet?  Or even
> Windows?  Uh uh.  The gap is narrowing, though.

I disagree with this.  My family and I moved from Windows to Slackware
in 1996, and today, the family finds working with Windows and Aqua to be
extremely limiting, difficult and time consuming.

GNU desktops repeatedly out perform in nearly every fair minded
condition.  First, they are far more customizable.  With six kids in the
house, they would accept nothing less. They have far more security,
greater network connectivity, interconnectivity and there are far more
useful programming in SuSE than XP home edition.

I personally work with wmaker on about 5 virtual desktops, with
gtk-nautilus running as a desktop manager when I think I need to (which
is rare).  While devices will ALWAYS be a problem due to manufactures
dreams of world domination and secrecy, in truth, devices that are
supported, which is a hell of a lot of them, are better supported than
the proprietary drivers in commercial operating systems.  What more can
we want?  We have access to TV, Radio, Security Cameras, video
production, image manipulation, we have a dozen or so scanners, digital
cameras, video recorders and more.

And we run almost exclusively AMD 850 Durons in the house.

Every time I have to deal with a non GNU system it is stifling.  Those
desktops are completely brain dead.

Ruben