> > I guess what I am reacting to is the difficulty I had a year ago when
> > I struggled for about 2 weeks to get a DVD burner to work with my RH 9
> > server.  The drive manufacturer did not specifically support Linux,
> > and I was unable (with lots of help from others) to get it to work.
> > So I can only imagine that getting Braille readers to work might
> > involve similar difficulties.

Different Linux distros do indeed erect higher or lower learning curves for
first-time Linux users, as well as driver support and whatnot.  Before I
came to CodeWeavers, I'd never used a Linux OS on the desktop.  My first
experiences with Redhat were sometimes difficult.  Since then, I've gone
through a couple flavors of Redhat, SuSE, and am now on Ubuntu.  We use a
lot of Ubuntu currently.  We think it's pretty slick, and it makes things
like wireless networking pretty easy, even for a relative technical neophyte
like myself.  Xandros is another distro that also gets good marks for
usability.  Of course, I understand that there's a difference between
"usability" and "accessibility."

Bottom line: I think *all* of the main desktop distros have gotten better in
the past three years.  But are they at the level of OS/X yet?  Or even
Windows?  Uh uh.  The gap is narrowing, though.  And just as with the
increasing adoption of OpenOffice, at some point the gap gets narrow enough
that users begin to look at price point.  In the OS wars, though, it's a
long, slow, slog for Linux on the desktop.

Cheers,

-jon parshall-
COO
CodeWeavers