--- Kevin Toppenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks for your agreement, Greg.  What I don't understand is why I am
> the only one asking for this.

Make that one of two.

> It seems, to me, to be a vary BASIC
> tool that a database should offer.

Absolutely. There's no need in repeating what I've already said
regarding why I don't think there has been much demand for this
feature, and why I think the lack of it is bad for VistA. Suffice it to
say, that among Codd's rules, I consider the non-subversion rule one of
the most important, if not THE most important.

> I also think that I have looked at this closer than others and
> believe
> I am closer to being able to figure out how to write an API that
> would
> plug into the core functionality of Fileman's SEARCH code.

I'm sure you have. Exposing search functionality as a DBS call would be
a great first step, but I think it really can and should be optimized,
too.

> Its just
> that it would likely take me quite a while to get it fully working.
> And its just easier to write my own search code each time I need
> this.
>  I really wish someone smarter than I (Hint, Hint, George Timpson)
> would plug this hole.  It would probably take them one a day or
> so....

Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"It is foolish to answer a question that
you do not understand."
--G. Polya ("How to Solve It")