Nancy - thank you so much for the info - I tried to email you in response but it kept bouncing back for some reason.  I will try to call you today or tomorrow if that's OK.

Joseph - I'm aiming to open in July of 2006 - and ideally, I'd like to start right up with an electronic medical record, and design my practice around that... rather than transferring from paper to electronic at a later date.  If I could get hold of vista-office, that would be great; if not, maybe I will pursue Nancy's idea of setting up OV4 and moving to vista-office when available. (still looking into other opensource applications as well).