For clarification...

"Now, with VMWare specifically, there may be a setting to perform a
commit to the actual disk when there is a commit in the virtual
machine, but I am not sure about this."

VMware Workstation v5.5 has an option under the 'Hard Disk' settings
called 'Persistent' - this will ensure that any changes made are
'immediate and permanently written to disk.'

VMware ESX Server 2.5.2 also has the previous feature.

Mahalo,
Chris