I have two linux questions.  I guess I am still a linux newbie by
relative standards.

1. Executing a binary file that has execute permissions: why can't I
just type the name of the file?  For example:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] gtm]$ mumps
bash: mumps: command not found
[EMAIL PROTECTED] gtm]$ ./mumps
%GTM-E-GTMDISTUNDEF, Environment variable $gtm_dist is not defined

Notice on the second time that the mumps command launches.  The
$gtm_dist variable isn't defined, so I'm not worried about that.  But
why didn't it work the first time?

2. "Installing"
I recently tried to install flash player for Firefox on my newly
installed CentOS (with enhanced security disabled).  The automatic
install failed, so I was directed to a .tar.gz file.  It is filled
with files.  How can I know where these are supposed to go, and how
would the .<configuration> directories and files get set up properly.

Also, my new CentOS is using firefox 1.0.x, and my favorite extension
wants version 1.5.  So I go to www.getfirefox.com and again get a link
to some .tar file.  I find /usr/lib/firefox-1.0 and create a
/usr.lib/firefox-1.5 and ensure the permissions are OK.  I then run
the firefox script and it launches the old version -- probably due to
some config file.

Why doesn't linux provide and installer system like the windows
system?  Or do they, and people aren't using it?

I also tried "yum upgrade firefox" and no match for firefox was found.

Thanks