--- Kevin Toppenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hmmm....
>
> Speaking with representative of lab equipment etc, I thought that the
> answer to "Can product ABC interface to software XYZ?" was alway
> "YES."  It's always just a 'small' programming fee away... :-)
>
> It's kind of like asking, can we build a bridge from point A to B.
> Sure, its always just a matter of money.
>
> Kevin

You also want an interface that does something useful. If you can send
a simple "Are you there?" message to the other product and receive an
answer, that's an interface. At least it is from the programmer's point
of view. From the user's point of  view, it is nothing short of
useless.

So yes, money is one issue. Interfaces are always available if you're
willing to pay (and wait) for them. But there's also the issue of
nailing down what you want that interface to do. You could easily spend
lots of time and money to come up with what would be a wonderful
interface for someone else, but remains useless for you because it
simply doesn't do what you need it to do.

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Metaphors be with you.