I see a lot of questions beginning with these few words, and I'm never
quite sure how to respond. In another context, I'd respond with a
question beginning "What do you want it to do?" Functional requirements
or specifications are rarely discussed here, but before we can
reasonably address the question of whether there is an interface
between VistA and another product, it is crucial to first ask what
problems that interface is intended to solve and what it is to do. To
put it a bit more strongly, it is impossible to say whether or not an
interface exists until we can clearly say what we mean by an interface,
and that is a question that has not even been addressed much less
answered.

I haven't really raised this issue before (at least in so many words)
because it sounds so formal and process-heavy when open source
development is supposed to be agile. But it seems increasingly clear to
me that a major impediment to progess is our inability to answer these
basic sorts of questions. My view is that analysis and architecture are
as crucial to the success of open source health information systems as
they are to any other product, and yet these are areas that we
consisently ignore.

===
Gregory Woodhouse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Metaphors be with you.