After flunking a high school test, Yogi Berra was asked by his teacher, "Don't you know anything?" He replied, "I don't even suspect anything."

Here is what I suspect about GT.M and Mac OS X.

GT.M uses varargs for functions with variable arguments. varargs is pre ANSI C and is not supported by current releases of gcc. stdarg is the way ANSI C handles variable arguments. I've been letting Xcode and its predecessors hold my hand for so long I'm hesitant to attempt to install an older version of gcc along with the required header files for fear of upsetting the current toolset. However there is a stdarg patch for GT.M V5.0-000C for x86 on sourceforge:

The build process looks for an existing GT.M mumps compiler to preprocess some files. Of course the build fails at this point. This was discussed a little while ago and following Bhaskar's hint (by my recollection) I built GT.M on linux and collected the files generated by mumps and copied them to the Mac OS X machine, and the build proceeded... until...

The assembler complained about the x86 assembly language files.
/Users/rkm/vista/gtm50/sr_i386/ci_restart.s:13:Unknown pseudo-op: .title
/Users/rkm/vista/gtm50/sr_i386/ci_restart.s:13:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 99 (c).
/Users/rkm/vista/gtm50/sr_i386/ci_restart.s:14:Unknown pseudo-op: .sbttl
/Users/rkm/vista/gtm50/sr_i386/ci_restart.s:14:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 99 (c).
/Users/rkm/vista/gtm50/sr_i386/ci_restart.s:19:Unknown pseudo-op: .DATA
/Users/rkm/vista/gtm50/sr_i386/ci_restart.s:20:Unknown pseudo- op: .extern /Users/rkm/vista/gtm50/sr_i386/ci_restart.s:20:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 112 (p). /Users/rkm/vista/gtm50/sr_i386/ci_restart.s:23:no such 386 instruction: `entry'

That's where I've left it for now.

I'm suspecting that when I pick this up again I will make an install of Mac OS X just for this purpose (its easy enough with an external drive) and install the gcc version that best matches GT.M.

-Ken McKee