Dan --

I don't think bandwidth is the issue.

Although my primary interface to the list is via a mail client, I do
value the ability to have browser based access when I am traveling, and
Googlegroups gives both types of access.

Increasingly, I think the ability to search posts for relevant material
is important, and I don't think any server we could maintain would even
begin to approach Google's indexing capability.

Besides, with a service like Google groups, we don't have to be
concerned about backups, continuity of business, etc.

Regards
-- Bhaskar