Apples to oranges dude.

At least Ford supplied the vehicle with a seatbelt leaving the option of
using it to you. You didn't have to tell Ford you would be needing a
seatbelt installed ... it's already there.

At the end of the day, if 911 can be accessed by an ordinary PSTN or ISDN
handset, with VoIP as an alternative to those 2 services, you should
therefore experience the same services that PSTN and ISDN have accordingly.

Of course, the laws you have in the US are somewhat more flexible and
perhaps due to the expansive nature of your infrastructure compared to what
we have here in Australia.

One thing I can say from my end is that down here, the law enforces the
requirement to support emergency calls from all telecommunications services
and this will include VoIP as well. Working for our major telco here, this
(emergency services situation) has been a very hot topic for us as we need
to guarantee that if a customer chooses to have VoIP as their only service,
emergency services will still be contactable. Proposals so far include
integrated (i.e. NOT optional) battery backup systems, redundant systems at
both the premises (in terms of a dedicated modem within the VoIP device
itself) as well as the exchange. Granted, this is not a cheap venture by any
stretch of the imagination but when you do have an emergency service that
works extremely well and it's required by law to be constantly accessible,
there's a lot of work to be done before it's released to the masses.

So to answer someone else's question earlier in the piece, is it a privilege
or a right? Depending where you are, it's a right. Seems like it's more of a
privilege in the US given the heated debate behind it all.

Adios,
Tony

---------------  TAMA - The Strongest Name in Drums  ---------------