Well I have COX on a state of the art fiber optic system. There is a fiber optic line on the pole 20 feet from where I am sitting. I have never had a real problem. Yeah it has gone down at midnight a handful of times in the five years I have had it, presumably during maintenance, but all in all, it has been one of the most reliable services I have ever subscribed to. And, of course, it provides me with 24/7 3 plus megabytes down and 512Kb up, something I don't think DSL can match .... anywhere!

My 6.0/608 SBC DSL line for $40/mo would beg to differ. :)
As far as reliability, it has been down at most 2-3 hours in the 3 years I've had it at this location.

Greg