At 03:52 PM 12/05/2005, Greg Sevart wrote:
For me, it isn't so much an issue of being lazy as it is of being safe. If the machine is of any importance, a format and re-install is the only way I will ever trust that machine again. You never know what you could have missed, or something so new that automatic scanners don't catch, etc.

That's a good point. I generally start by trying to clean the machine, and I have that pretty automated by now. Once I've done all the basic cleaning I try to clean up the obvious damage. I don't put more than 30 minutes into repairing before I consider the machine a write off (flat rate repairs mean I can't spend hours on a machine.)

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Declude Anti-Virus]