sounds like temperature and HE is lying to you. he fried it most likely ( if that is possible with the new chips )
I assume you pulled the hs/fan back off to check contact ? might be cocked a little
fp

At 11:44 AM 6/22/2005, Thane Sherrington Poked the stick with:
I have an AMD64 in the shop that a customer installed and covered with thermal compound (it looked like the CPU had been caulked into place.)  He was complaining that it would work fine for awhile and then the temp would spike to 80C.  I cleaned the CPU, put new thermal compound on it, and it powers up but immediately (like within 3 seconds) powers down (nothing on the monitor.)  Is the CPU toast, or is there something else I can try?

Tallyho ! ]:8)
--
Don't sneeze when someone is cutting your hair.