Your COA authenticating issue has nothing to do with this thread...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ben Ruset" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "The Hardware List" <hardware@hardwaregroup.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2005 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: [H] MS gets nosy

So this information, collected involuntarily, causes you to lose sleep?

I am in the Microsoft OEM System Builder Program. I have had to call Microsoft several times when I had problems authenticating Windows XP on a name brand computer. In most situations, the computer manufacturer had entered a Product Key (upon installation) which was different from the Product Key on their COA. In other situations I had made massive hardware changes. In one situation the only original hardware I used was the CPU. I can say from experience, Microsoft is fair. In over 90% of the situations, Microsoft allowed me to authenticate. I have never had an authentication problem with a computer I built. I always made sure I used the correct Product Key, the one on the COA stuck to the Windows Kit and later, affixed to the computer.

#1. The information sent to Microsoft was not personal, I assume.

#2. I am glad that information was already on file for verification in the "handshakes" required with Microsoft for authentication of future reinstalls of Windows XP. This expedited the process and seldom I had to call Microsoft. Simply put, that information on file at Microsoft is a blessing to legitimate computer shops and a curse to pirates.

Chuck

--
Cheers,
joeuser (still looking for the 'any' key)